Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Frustration...

I can't say that I have enjoyed the week four experience very much. I do love my Internet and I consider my computer one of my essential 'can't live withouts' but its also one of the biggest time suckers I've ever had the privilege of connecting to. This week was a prime example. I have used too much time subscribing to feeds and blogs. Some I know I will read but others I will not. I have to limit myself for the sake of my own sanity.

I'm impressed with the Powerhouse Museum's use of Picture of the day and I'm wondering how much information they receive from the public about their uncatalogued items. I think that would be one of the most interesting jobs ...getting the info from the public and then verifying it. Does anyone in the library world doing this course have one of these positions? I would love to hear about your experiences.

Does this technology have a place within public library services? Yes, I'm sure it does. Publishing the latest news of library events onto a blog and encouraging users to subsribe to it would certainly remove some obstacles associated with the distribution of paper-based promotions. I seem to spend a huge amount of my time addressing those types of issues as well. It's all about time and efficiency isn't it? If the new technology can remove barriers and improve work flow then I'm all for updating my skills and knowledge.

1 Comments:

At May 1, 2008 at 9:20 PM , Blogger pls@slnsw said...

I have to agre...I think in the end we self select if we feel like we have too many RSS feeds. I know myself although I signed up to about 20 RSS feeds on bloglines in the end I really only check my 5 favourites and so have deleted the test.It is good to experiment but I only have so much space in my head!

Leanne

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home